The next Pokemon Go Community Day event takes on Sunday, May 19. This time around it’s all about fire-type starter Pokemon Torchic and its evolutions Combusken and Blaziken, with the event and its rewards built around that evolutionary tree.
As mentioned, the focus this time is fire-type Pokemon Torchic, which can evolve into Combusken and finally fighting and fire dual type Blaziken. Like most of the starter Pokemon, this isn’t the sort of beast that sets tier lists alight, but it is a decent battling Pokemon if you have a particular weakness in the fire-type damage dealer area. The dual typing with fighting type also makes this great for taking down normal-type gym turtle Pokemon like Chansey and Snorlax. On top of that, this event brings with it a chance to catch a shiny form – meaning through evolution you can net not just a shiny Torchic, but also evolve to a shiny Blaziken as well. There’s also a range of community day bonuses and rewards in May – and we’ll explain all those in detail below. But first, a quick community day primer for the newcomers…
What is a Pokemon Go Community Day event, and how does it work?
Put simply, Pokemon Go Community Day Events do what you’d likely expect from their name – they’re designed to get players out and about into the world, preferably interacting and hanging out together in locations that are rife with Pokestops like parks and other public places. These events are time-limited to encourage trainers to head out on the same day and at the same day on a Pokemon hunting mission.
As part of this, players are rewarded for their participation. Usually, community day events are built around a specific Pokemon, allowing players to catch more of that Pokemon and in a shiny form. On top of that, regular bonuses include exclusive moves for the featured Pokemon, increased EXP, Stardust and Lure duration, bonus loot like stardust and incubators, and even bonuses like fast-hatching eggs for the duration of the event.
If you head out to a community day event, you might be surprised: you’ll likely see other trainers catching Pokemon all over the place during the event if you head to a place like a local park. It’s a big deal!
Pokemon Go May Community Day Date, Start Time and End Time
The next Pokemon Go community day is for May 2019, and it’s the 17th community day we’ve had overall. The event takes place on May 19 – and it’s worth noting this breaks with Pokemon Go tradition and falls on a Sunday. Typically, community days fall on a Saturday. Either way, the timing means most people should be able to easily free themselves up from life commitments in order to get out into the wild to spin Pokesotps and catch Pokemon for the community day period.
As always, the community event is a limited-time event – it’ll run for a simple three-hour period on the chosen day. The May Community Day Times are between 3pm and 6pm local time, whatever that is in your local region and time zone. During these hours the community day will be active, in turn allowing for certain bonus rewards that make participating in the day worthwhile.
Pokemon Go May Community Day Rewards: Shiny Torchic, Combusken and Blaziken, triple catch Stardust, exclusive Blast Burn move & more
This May, the Pokemon Go Community Day follows the traditional setup: It’s focused on one Pokemon species, increasing the spawn rates of that breed of Pokemon, making them more easily available with certain powerful moves or in shiny forms. At least this month it’s particularly exciting, giving lots of access to a previously not entirely common Pokemon breed of a useful type.
As mentioned above, the main reason to take part in this community day is to catch a bunch of the featured Pokemon – this time around Torchic – and then find one with half-decent stats and evolve or power it up to build a formidable Pokemon. In this instance that’s evolving into Combusken and Blaziken. There are some other rewards, however:
- Shiny Pokemon: spawn rates will be increased for Torchic, including in its shiny form. Catch lots of them, and you’ll be sure to eventually encounter a shiny Torchic – maybe a few.
- 3x Catch Stardust: during the event hours, Stardust gained for catching Pokemon will be tripled. You can also stack this with Lucky Eggs for big bonuses.
- Exclusive Move – Blast Burn: there will be an exclusive move for this evolution series – and this time around it’s Blast Burn. Blast Burn is a new move and makes its exclusive debut here as part of community day.
- 3-Hour Lures: if you drop a Lure on a Pokestop, it’ll last for 3 hours instead of 30 minutes. This means any lure dropped during the event will last the full duration of the event hours.
Combusken evolves into Blaziken, and while as mentioned Blaziken doesn’t really rate all that highly on our tier list of the best Pokemon in Pokemon Go, its dual fire and fighting type can come in useful, as this is quite a unique combination. Raw stats aren’t everything, and this typing could make Blaziken an ideal counter for certain Pokemon based on Pokemon Go’s type strengths and weaknesses – ideal for certain Pokemon Go Raids.
Looking for a shiny? The colors you need to keep an eye out for in order to get shiny Torchic and then Blaziken are below.
Pokemon Go Community Day History: past events
Ninatic Labs held the first Community Day event in January 2018 with Pikachu. It’s continued since then:
- January 2018: Pikachu (with Surf)
- February 2018: Dratini (with Draco Meteor)
- March 2018: Bulbasaur (with Frenzy Plant)
- April 2018: Mareep (with Dragon Pulse)
- May 2018: Charmander (with Blast Burn)
- June 2018: Larvitar (with Smack Down)
- July 2018: Squirtle (with Hydro Cannon)
- August 2018: Eevee (with Last Resort)
- September 2018: Chikorita (with Frenzy Plant)
- October 2018: Beldum (with Meteor Mash)
- November 2018: Cyndaquil (with Blast Burn)
- December 2018: best of 2018
- January 2019: Totodile
- February 2019: Swinub
- March 2019: Treecko
- April 2019: Bagon (with Outrage)
- May 2019: Torchic (with Blast Burn)